Friday, March 23, 2007

Movies that I have seen 6,000 times and could watch another 6,000 times

(Also known as my version of cinematherapy; I wrote the bulk of this post during Spring Break but it has taken me awhile to do all of the pictures and links.)

Bridget Jones' Diary

Preferably the first one, but the second one will do in a pinch. I can recite this movie line-by line. Literally.




Chasing Liberty


I love Mandy Moore, and that guy's British accent kills me. Plus, Jeremy Piven is hilarious.





The Chronicles of Riddick

For when I feel like kicking a little ass. Or looking at a REALLY well-built man. Mmmm.




Clueless


The movie of my adolescence. Such a great movie, especially the little monologues. AND, it is based on Jane Austen, hello!






Elektra


Another movie for when I feel like kicking ass. While some may say this is not the best movie ever, I love it. And to those people that say this is not a good movie, I say: Please bitch, you only wish you could wear red lingerie and swing around those knife things.




Emma


Again, Jane Austen, yay! Although I choose Children's Lit as my focus in grad school, I could have also gone with Victorian Lit. Jane Eyre would be on this list if I found a movie version that didn't SUCK ASS. Anyway, this is a great movie.




The Fifth Element

I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I don't even know why, but I just do. My parents think it is strange, but I don't care. I have it on DVD, but every time it comes on tv I can't help but watch it.





Funny Girl

People...people who need people...just kidding. Singing, comedy, and the inability of people to work out their marriages. Love it. I think everyone should have to watch this movie, it is a classic.





Little Women

Ahhhh, I think I have mentioned before, but this movie (and the book) makes me feel safe, and as if the world makes sense. Even if it really doesn't.





Love Actually
I cry every single time I watch this movie, I can't help it. I love the music, and there are enough storylines to keep me involved every time I watch it. My favorite scenes are Emma Thompson listening to Joni Mitchell and that guy freaking out when the girl who married his best friend finds out that he likes her. It sounds like a soap opera, but it is great stuff.



The Matchmaker
I'm watching this right now...I usually pair it with The Truth About Cats and Dogs and have a Janeane Garofalo movie fest. I never heard about this movie until I pulled the VHS out of the bargain bin, but now I watch it once a year or so. It's a cute little movie in Ireland, and I love how the guy starts off as a idiot and then becomes human.




The Matrix (ONLY the first one)

Such a good movie, I was so sad when they had to fuck it up with the second and third ones. I just pretend that they don't exist.





Meet Joe Black


For when I feel like crying. A very subtle, slow movie; very well done.




My Best Friend's Wedding


This movie is also a classic, especially the music. Rupert Everett cracks me up, as done the scene at the restaurant where they all bust out into song.




Newsies


I memorized all the words to the songs to this movie LONG before they released the soundtrack on cd. I've seen it THAT many times. A great, great movie - a must for anyone that likes musicals.




Playing By Heart

This used to be my favorite movie of all time, and I still like it although I can't watch it as much as before. An excellent example of story interweaving, and it also has an awesome soundtrack.




Pirates of the Caribbean (ONLY the first one)


Funny, funny stuff, especially the scene on the beach after Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth Swann get drunk together. "But why is the rum gone?!?!"




Sliding Doors


Another bargain bin discovery, this is a strange, wonderfully weird movie. And by golly, those accents always get me.




The Sound of Music


There is nothing I can say about this movie that hasn't been said before, so I'm not going to explain why I watch it over and over - I simply do.





10 Things I Hate About You

The last year I worked at summer camp, I watched this movie during every single break I had. It is funny, sweet, bitter, literary, and exciting all in one.




13 Going on 30

Aww, this movie is not particularly good, but so cute. I just shrivel up with sweetness when I watch this movie.




The Truth About Cats and Dogs

As mentioned above, this is part of the Janeane Garofalo movie night. This is the better of the two movies, and I also can't help but watch it whenever it comes on tv. The scene when he is taking the girl's photographs, gets caught up taking Uma Thurman's pictures, and forgets all about the other girl kills me.


White Christmas


See my Christmas list of movies.





You've Got Mail
Ooohhh, I LOVE THIS MOVIE. Love it. I am hard pressed to pick a favorite between this and Bridget Jones, but I think I have seen them both the same amount of times. I can also recite the dialogue along with the movie, especially the email voice overs. I also love that this movie is in NYC, it is exactly the kind of life I want to live.



XXX


See The Chronicles of Riddick. This movie is much sillier (I mean, really, when does a rebel-turned-USA-spy blow up 15 dozen luxury cars?) but it is fun to watch. Plus, you know, the beautiful man factor.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home