Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Between the meetings, trainings, papers, reports, classes, presentations, and readings I didn't have time to post yesterday. I also did not have time to breathe, think, or sleep. Seriously, who needs that stuff anyway?

----------------------------

I really don't talk about politics much because I'm not a big fan of emotional arguments, so last night's class disscusion about 9/11, The Passion of the Christ, Mel Gibson, Christianity (including Catholicism, Protestantism, and the definition of fundamentalism), psychology, and cognitive science made me very uncomfortable. What does this have to do with Milton, you ask? I have no idea.

In general, I have a big problem with people telling other people how they should think or believe, especially when their emotions get involved. I'm not saying that there was a screaming match in class, but I'm pretty sure one girl went home last night and burned the book we were talking about. I enjoy discussions with people that are able to talk about what they believe without attacking someone else's beliefs, or trying to "convert" them - I make my case, you make yours, and we agree to disagree but have learned more about how the other side views the world. The problem (for me) always comes when the other person is so emotionally invested in their argument that they are unable to even listen to another side, and like the conflict-avoider that I am, I tend to avoid these discussions altogether.

Just in case you were wondering, I have never been able to understand why killing someone will teach people to stop killing people. In politics and religion, I tend to start from there and work my way up (or down). I guess you would say that I am pretty liberal, but not an extreme case. If you disagree (and most people do), great, that is your opinion and I'm glad to let you have it.

----------------------------

For the past few days, Ollie has been at work eating one of my cardboard shoe boxes. He will sit in the box and rip chunks of the sides off, then spit them out and start again. It's really weird, and I'm going to try to take a picture of it tonight.

----------------------------

My latest favorite thing in the world (besides the DVR) is being able to watch the newest episodes of tv shows online. How awesome is that?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home